Just a quick post to upload the work I have done today and yesterday. Monday was mainly looking up past cruise articles and hostelling experience to finalize the servicescape and social interaction constructs. Did a bit of work on the questionnaire based on Andrew’s comments:
- Less categories of ages – This is based on Hecht & Martin and Cave et al’s findings that younger guests prefer social aspects of hostelling but older guests don’t mind paying more for privacy.
- Education – Less categories. Need to show professional young adults are choosing hostels for reasons that are different from students. Hecht & Martin (?) states that well-educated guests expect and demand higher standards and maybe more privacy.
- Employment status to include full-time, part-time, unemployed, retiree, student and others. This info relates to characteristics of flashpackers as well as the changing demographics of backpackers/hostel guests.
- Added ‘Total nights in Malaysian hostel’
- Took out completely ‘Accommodation type typically used’ as it wasn’t relevant to the research
- Leave ‘Guest-to-guest’ interaction scales for now as more reading is needed plus findings from CIT.
- Took out Guests’ Behaviours as it was overlapping with Section Five (Fellow Guests)
- Must justify why OCP (Other Customers’ Perception) should be included
- SEE is fine but need justification why it is appropriate to adapt seeing that the original research was conducted in a hedonic setting using sporting events. Hostels are utilitarian, so opposite to hedonic.
Anyway, here’s the rough 3rd draft survey questions.
This morning, I collected the printed articles from yesterday. Mostly on tourist-to-tourist interaction. Can’t really remember why I suddenly decided to work on the revised CF! Probably after going through Musa & Thirumoorthi’s article to finalize the questionnaire items, I quickly printed out their CF to compare to mine. Then read the article on social and physical atmospherics in sporting events that had a similar CF to mine. It made sense to carry on with the CF and then use this as a base for my survey items. Anyway, here’s the CF to-date: NEW CF with SI as MEDIATOR with REF
So now, at 2.07pm the aim is to finish with transcribing the OZ couple in Reggae Hostel. Azha needs me to go home early and sort out the car rental for his parents’ trip.
UPDATE at 5.15pm – Finished the transcript for OZ couple! Yay! Alhamdulillah. Tidied up the ‘recordings’ title name and made a new folder for it. Gonna start the next transcribing tomorrow – The Moroccan Guy in OPG.
Azha’s coming to campus with the kids to play near the lake. Nice weather so better make the most out of it. Azha thought the concert was today instead of tomorrow so that’s why he asked to sort out the car today. Nyanyuknyaa.