Finally took Alya on a mini-holiday to Portsmouth. Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, Gunwharf Quays. Just a short walk to the dockyard where we went to the Mary Rose Museum, HMS Warrior/(Victory?) and Action House using the family ticket that Effa sold me. Alya and Azha went on mini-boat ride as well and she really enjoyed it.
On Saturday we got home around 3pm and Azha went off to get the car. I prepped some veg and food to cook. Papa and Mama will be arriving after 10pm so dinner had to be ready before bedtime. Did some vacuuming and got our room ready.
Sunday was a nice day. Went to the A3 boot sale and got some clothes for Harraz.
All in all, quite a nice break from work 🙂
Had a bit of a problem setting the appointment for my meeting today. I never received Chris’s meeting request and apparently, Chris never received Eimear’s acceptance of the request! I am so glad I sent Chris a follow-up email and she replied straight-away.
Today’s meeting went well. Told Andrew I already booked tickets to Malaysia as it was getting more and more expensive. Plus I plan to do online surveys as well. He reminded me that I will need to design a different instrument for online ones so it is more user-friendly. Luckily the School bought the licence from Qualtrics so there’s no limit to responses.
Looking at the Conceptual Framework, the only comment from Andrew was whether or not I will be including ‘personal’ and ‘functional’ dimensions of the Social Interaction. Even if there is only one paragraph of reference that said there is a distinction between different ‘SI’, I can use this as justification. Plus my findings from the CIT interviews would back up the two dimensions.
Lots of comments about the technical aspects of the questionnaire from Andrew and Eimear. Eg. wordings, instructions, order of statements. But content of it was approved!! I am sooooo relieved that I can go ahead and have the printed version ready to be checked and then pre-tested on my Phd friends. No need for stats tests for the pilot stage!! They’re away till 6 May so will use this time to:
- Finalize questionnaire (use Qualtrics for online and offline)
- Finish transcribing
- Fill in demographics table for interviews
- Fill in Details of Incidents
- Draft RM Chapter
Being a little ambitious for a 3 week period but who knows, I might just make it!!!
The day started with a light drizzle of rain. Waited for the bus at 8am. Possibly missed the 7.55am bus but the next one arrived pretty early. Alya starts Easter hols today for 2 weeks so they were all still in bed.
Anyway, just to update what happened on Friday. Finished the transcripts (checking of transcripts) for:
- Gap year female at TGS1
- Gap year female at TGS2
Decided to start the transcription for Japanese student but that ended quite quickly, at 5 minutes into the interview!
Alya had early school closure so Azha brought her in with Adik. Stayed in the surau. What a lucky day for the kids as this generous Arabic lady in a gorgeous jubah gave them £20 each. Plus Alya got a packet of Mentos from one of the students praying there.
Anyway, came back to the office and went to lunch with Lily at Young’s. Printed off a few articles (I think) and discussed about our philosophical stance in research methods.
So today is the start to the new week. I’m proud to announce that 2 transcriptions have been completed by 2pm! YAY! Alhamdulillah.
- The Japanese student – this was so hard as his speech wasn’t so clear.
- The family staying at Lazyboys – background noise was very annoying!
Printed some articles during a short break. There are new publications on CCI plus a whole thesis on the topic! When am I ever going to find the time to read all this material!!!
Here’s a post shared by the Thesis Whisperer on her blog. It’s too late for me but would you agree on this?
Yesterday (Monday 24 March 2014) I have managed to:
- Send Alison a draft of Chapter One: Introduction so she can give feedback on my writing. Made some changes from the confirmation report based on Alison’s suggestions in the last tutorial as well as incorporating Scott’s comments. I’m hoping that I have covered all the contents that is required for this chapter. This is what I sent her
- Written up a ‘Writing Target’ in terms of no. of words to be achieved for each thesis chapter. Looked up a few thesis plus the ‘How to do PhD’ books to decide on the word count to be achieved. I have included the different sections of my confirmation report as part of the word count. Here’s the file: Writing Targets
Next on my to do list:
- Improve questionnaire after SV meeting. Possibly add more servicescape items, esp the ones related to hostels (Refer Musa & Thirumoorthi etc) and take out personality items?
- Redo CF without the moderators (if agreed by Andrew, Leon and Eimear!)
- Re-write the Intro Chapter with new Research Objectives
- Draft LR structure based on CF
- Draft RM structure, especially interview part
The list does keep getting longer!